Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Black Light Rave in my lil cave



Tonight we celebrated our babys 17th birthday.


Woo-hoo!

(Well OK, it was more like we let her celebrate it).

She went from a luau theme to a rave theme...that's my girl!

I love a challenge (creatively).

But, she actually didn't want to paint herself and spray herself. And technically, I wasn't invited for playtime with the kids...so I couldn't paint and spray myself (sigh).

I did get to play interior decorator and head chef. So that was cool. Because I like to play Betty Crocker ( after all I was raised on playing with my easy bake oven).


Wanna know the menu? Suicide punch & mini pizza's and she sprung or sprang fer da chips n candy.

  • Suicide punch: Ginger Ale, Lemon Lime Soda, Orange Soda, Strawberry Soda and Strawberry Margarita syrup mix.
  • Pizza's CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP!!!: Sliced french bread from Walmart $1.50 x 3 loaves and lotsa Motsarella cheese (no spell check...it had to go with the "lotsa") and an institutional size jug of ketchup...yup! I said ketchsup. I added 1/4 cup dried oregano, 1 small container of parmesan cheese, 7 or more good dashes of garlic powder, even more dashes of pepper, about 2 cups of water, 1 cup of wine (once it boils the alcohol is gone...this was for kids afterall) and a few tablespoons of brown sugar and 2 bay leaves which I removed afterwards. Lay the frenchbread slices on a cookie sheet spoon 2 TBS of sauce on the bread then cover lightly with cheese. Even the shy ones can't resist eating these!
Decor:


  • Drag out the Christmas lights and lava lamps for visiting area and dining area. I used alot of black velvet in the dining area...it helped the colors of the candy POP. (sorry, I only took the picture of my table with a wine cloth...but the other's had black)
  • The sucker tree is a clip picture holder (that's why I used this pic)
  • I hung a white shower curtain to block off my hubby's study and my art room.
  • We exchanged the hall light for a RED light bulb....exposed it bare!
  • Her dance studio (ok..here's the story on this one. Her older brother painted his room dark blue and painted his floor and ceiling black, then he moved out) So...we added large mirrors (left over from old large dressers) hung a disco ball and borrowed A TON of black lights and lined them along the walls on the floor.

And what was even cooler..we found that blue florescent hair spray virtually disappeared on our blue walls in daylight, but under a black light?


BAM! We had our graffiti! --->





We also had our old ghetto Christmas tree...it was once white...we got it yellowed in parts and missing a branch, so we spraypainted orange florescent hairspray on it. And under the blacklights....oh yea...it was fun! Can you believe I saved the tree and plan to add more colors later?

And her best gift ever? It was from one of her classmates. Hungry Hippo! It was so much fun to have these 15-20 year olds playing and having fun.
Just like when they were (ahem) kids.









Hungry Hippo--->







No comments:

Post a Comment