Friday, April 30, 2010

Dilemma Dahling - To wear or not to wear

Oh, the ever inspiring wide-wonderful-world of Etsy has uprooted my deep roots of contentment and stagnancy. To wear or not to wear, that is now my question. And my dilemma dahling.

Of course the more we expose our handmade artistic labors to others, the better the chances are of sales. It makes perfect sense, but I fight it. When people find out that I love to make jewelry and accessories, they immediately ask if I am wearing any of my own designs.

Arrrgh!

Some of my things are heirlooms. I wear them because of the warm fuzzies I get just knowing it belonged to Grandma.

But my creations are one-of-a-kind. Like this one:


If I wore some of my favorite pieces, they'd become "previously worn"... used. I just cannot get myself to sell or gift my designs in anything other than "new". (Would you buy socks worn for a day?) Blah! see what I mean?

In the meantime, while I wrestle with my dilemma, I'll wear Grandmas earrings and print up more business cards. Then when someone asks if I'm wearing any of my creations I can tell them about my loving grandmother and hand them a business card.

No comments:

Post a Comment